Wednesday, October 8, 2008

He who has found a wife has found a good thing!

The book of Proverbs contains countless bits of wisdom. Among those a declaration about finding a wife which proves amazingly correct in my case. “Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favor of the LORD.” Proverbs 18:22

I found my wife in a parking lot while cruising town in High School. At that time almost everyone would spend the weekend nights cruising up and down the two main streets in our small town. Usually the different “clicks” would find a parking lot somewhere along the route to gather. OK I am older now (not old but older) I can freely admit this practice was a waste of time and quite frankly silly but such is life. Well this night ended up not being a waste but rather the beginning to almost everything good in my life (especially as it led to my salvation). This night through friends of friends I met Angie and we seemed to hit it off right off the bat (I even let her drive my truck 1960 Ford pickup with 3 on the tree). And it is clear she must have recently received a head injury, although to this day she will not admit it, because she thought I was funny. The Lord used this as the beginning to a long (at least until the Lord returns) and happy life.

I am truly blessed. Proverbs 31 goes on to explain the virtues of a good wife. These characteristics  I see clearly in my wife and I have therefore obtained favor.

Proverbs 31

V10 “The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her” My heart finds rest within my wife. There is a safety unexplainable.

V13-14 “She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands. She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar.”  Well I have never seen her seek Wool but she is great at crocheting J. Actually this verse talks about the dedication to take care of her family. These days it is about what you can get for your family. That concept is wrong according to the Bible rather the concept here is what you can give to your family. Angie is truly selfless in her dedication to me and the kids.

Verse 15 through 19 speak of unwavering dedication, a quality which my wife clearly exhibits’.

I am truly honored by her demeanor as in v23.

V 26-31 “She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness. She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness. Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her. Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all. Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.”

Her own works praise her in the gates. How true that is over the years she has poured into her family and we both reap the benefits daily as we see our children doing well.

Another important virtue is humility. Case in point she would kill me if she knew I was writing this post about her. She is not one to "toot her own horn" as the expression goes. And as I talk with her I believe she thinks she is not who she wants to be as a mother or wife, however I am hard-pressed to think of her insufficiencies. As I think about the Joy I have in my life I am naturally drawn to the gift the Lord gave me in my helpmeet. She is definitely my completer. In fact we enjoy playing games together and I have told her more than once she is my completer in that way as well. I am the winner, she is the looserJ.

This post is not a rant to tell you my wife is better than yours or you (although she is) but an opportunity to encourage you to take joy in your life. Think about your helpmeet. Think about the blessings and joy she brings to your life. Choose this day to see her through the eyes of the Lord and give thanks for her. If you are the “her”, put your family first (after God) and invest in the one work that will give you true praise from your family and the Lord.

-Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment

NeoCounter