Monday, December 1, 2008

Our Thanksgiving Weekend

Jacob had 4 days off for Thanksgiving this year; which was really cool since he usually only gets Thanksgiving day off. On Thanksgiving morning we started the day with breakfast, and then immediately started rushing around trying to get the house straightened up for that evening when our guests would arrive. Including us there were 12 adults and 8 children.
Everyone brought food, but my job was to cook the turkey (at least one of them, we were having two to make sure there would be enough, and for leftovers). Jacob bought the biggest turkey he could find (24lbs.) a week ahead of time. I put it straight in the fridge, but on Thanksgiving morning it was still pretty frozen so I put it in a sink full of cold water thinking it would be fine by that afternoon when I needed to cook it. Well at one o'clock when I went to get it ready it was still quite frozen. I decided it was no big deal, I have cooked a partially frozen turkey before so I got it ready to put in the pan. That is when I discovered it was too big to fit with its wings tucked under so I had to leave them sticking up. Oh well so the wings get a little dark no big deal. I put it the oven at 400 degrees for about 1 hour so it was nicely browned on the top and then pulled it out so I could put the lid on and cook it at a lower temperature until it was done. Well... when I tried to put the lid on, it would not close. By this point I am starting to freak out. Jacob tells me not to worry about it and that every thing will be OK. I try covering the out side edge of the lid with tin foil and hope that will help keep the turkey from drying out. About an hour later I check on the turkey again and baste it and decide that the tin foil is too hot and hard to deal with so I discard it and hope for the best. At four o'clock the turkey is not as close to being done as I had hoped it would be at this point so I am still freaking out hoping it will be done at five when everyone is supposed to be here ready to eat. Well for the first time ever everyone shows up early and I am still waiting for my turkey to finish cooking. I am really embarrassed, but I try not to show it. Finally at 5:00 my meat thermometer says it is done Yeah! So after a few last minute things we are ready to eat at 5;15, only 15 min. late! Also I don't think anyone noticed (except Jacob) that I was totally stressing out over it. But now I've told them (whoops)

On Friday morning Jacob woke up at 4:45 and headed off to start our Christmas shopping while the kids and I stayed home sleeping. He made it to four different stores before coming back to pick us up around 7:30. We made it to four more before the 6 hour sales ended. So now most of our Christmas shopping is done! After coming back home and relaxing for a few hours we went out again with my little sister Edie to Costco to get Austin's birthday cake for the next day. Then we went to Pizza Hut for dinner so the kids could get their free pizzas from the Book It Program.

Saturday was Austin's 11th birthday! For breakfast Jacob and I make him breakfast pizza, and then it was time to start cleaning the house again for his birthday party that evening. This time there are 12 adults and 14 children coming for dinner. For dinner we have burritos, nachos, and tostadas.

Sunday morning we went to church and our pastor makes a comment about people stressing out over burnt turkeys; Jacob elbows me in the side. Then we came back home and spent the rest of the day relaxing! It was a very busy weekend but we all had a lot of fun!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you're turkey tasted great! It was so great to spend Austin's 11th birthday with you. By the way, I still can't picture you stressing out very much, even after all these years. If you stress out, then what do I do? Nucular meltdown? (: You are way ahead of us on Christmas, but we are starting to get some things ready. Have a wonderful day!